Tuesday, April 8, 2014

To create something

I have been so remarkably uninspired lately it is concerning. Art is my thing. The problem isn't a lack of creativity, not with this silly brain of mine, but rather a deficit of motivation. And it is completely ridiculous. The amount of pages I have in my sketchbook filled with ideas for photo shoots and paintings should have me booked artistically for the next month at least

I feel like Kiki in Kiki's Delivery Service. I may not be a teenage witch with a sassy talking cat (though I wouldn't mind if I was), but I can definitely relate to that feeling of losing my magic. It's there under my skin, but for some reason, it's eluding me. 

In the story, Kiki had to remind herself just why it is that she loved using her magic in order to get it back. So I've been doing the same sort of thing--I've submerged myself in things that inspire me: films, TV shows, music, art of all kinds, blogs, books . . . well, I get inspired by a lot.

I've also been going through some of my old work searching for that thing. I found these two photos that I took way back in September, when I just got some new film lenses to play with and everything was an opportunity for a new photo. Sometimes that is just what I need; something new to explore, something I don't completely understand yet. My art is driven by curiosity, by a belief in the inner potential of ordinary things.


Well, I am very excited to announce that I will be upgrading my camera soon. Very soon. My photography business is gaining momentum, and I recently got my first professional paycheck. Hooray! My inner traveler says, "Save it for a trip!" and my inner fashionista says, "But look at all the pretty spring collections!", but my inner businesswoman says, "Nope. This is going right back into my business." So that's where it's going.

I can't wait to bombard my blog with new photos! I think a new camera and a new lens is just what I need to rejuvenate my artistic soul. I've been doing freelance work that keeps my creativity active, so that's great, but I'm excited to dance to the beat of my own drum again. 

Until then!

"Go into the arts. I’m not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow , for heaven’s sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something." 
-- Kurt Vonnegut 

Song of the day:
Reunite, Isbells
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lovely Vertigo. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig