Saturday, September 6, 2014

Summer Snapshots :: Santa Cruising

I finally replaced my Little Engine That Could laptop and invested in a macbook with a faster processor. Hallelujah! No longer will editing photos be a slow computer-induced trial of patience and misery. Now that's a cause for celebration. How did I celebrate? By editing photos, of course!

These photos are from earlier this summer when I took a road trip up to Santa Cruz to visit my friend Danielle. She's going to be leaving soon to study abroad in England for an entire, fabulous, adventure-filled year, so we have been leaping at opportunities to see each other. This trip was so much fun! I didn't document every single moment, but here are some pictures I took when we visited the Boardwalk. (Edited with VSCOcam Lightroom presets, for all of you photo editing nerds out there.)
After checking out the Boardwalk and the giant arcade, we headed into downtown. To put it simply: I love downtown Santa Cruz. It was my type of place–the trees, the cute little storefronts, the quirky buildings, and, of course, the coffee shops. Danielle recommended I try a coffee shop called The Verve, which I thoroughly enjoyed, even though they didn't have any power outlets to prevent my laptop from giving out mid-writing session. They were redeemed by their delicious earl gray tea latte, though.
At the end, after days of delicious food and Santa Cruz shenanigans, we packed up all of Danielle's belongings in boxes and spent the eight hour drive home listening to music, munching on raspberries and cookies, and talking, talking, talking. Friends and traveling has to be one of my favorite combinations. I'm so glad I got to go on this wonderful traveling adventure and make great memories with Danielle before my gap year came to a close and her adventures in England began.

Speaking of which, I started my first semester of college last week. Wowza! This past year, my gap year, has been a wonderful blur in which I've travelled, worked, interned, volunteered, developed new interests and passions, made new friends, and ultimately grew as a person. As challenging and rewarding as it was to be my own boss last year, my inner nerd is excited to start hitting the books again.  

Within this past year I've changed my mind about what I might be interested in pursuing academically. I think I have an idea about what I'd like to major in, but that is what is so thrilling about this time of my life: I might change my mind entirely tomorrow, a month from now, a year from now...who knows? That uncertainty, rather than making me feel anxious about choosing one thing or another right away, is only fueling me to keep on going and see where my passions lead me. I'm looking forward to working hard, keeping on my toes, and rolling with the punches this academic year. 

Until next time.

"After climbing a great hill, one finds there are many more to climb."
– Nelson Mandela

Song of the day:
Bloodstream, Ed Sheeran
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lovely Vertigo. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig