Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Photo shoot: American Dreaming part I, "Wonder where your heart came from"

An Izzie with photos to edit is a very happy Izzie indeed. A couple of days ago, my cousin Olivia and her friend Missy agreed to put on funky clothes and walk through a field with me during golden hour, when the sun was kissing the horizon and bathing everything in gold. It was my first golden hour shoot, and I'm really happy with the results. In fact, there are enough photos that I'm going to split them up onto different posts. So here it is, part one!
When I was styling this shoot, two words kept cartwheeling around my brain: "Americana grunge". Now, as grunge goes, this is fairly soft. I mostly wanted to juxtapose dark, smudged eye makeup with long, loose hair and a sort of "whatever this kind of matches" style. (I love the combination of lace, plaid, and jean. It's so effortless and cool.) 

This all lends itself to the concept of the shoot, which is two young people setting off to find their place in an uncertain world. They don't have much, but they have a dream or two, and they have each other.

Keeping with that concept, I wanted the photos to look grainy and washed out like they were taken with a film camera rather than a digital one. Ironically, my new camera is so receptive in low light that there was no grain to be seen. I had to add it. The rest of the editing was mostly color and contrast adjustments, lighting enhancements, basic beauty tricks . . . okay, I could talk ramble about editing photos all day, but I don't want to make you fall asleep on your keyboard. If anyone is actually interested in a more in-depth discussion of my photo editing process, let me know!

Speaking of, I really need to get back to editing the rest of the photos. Stay tuned for American Dreaming part II!

"I hope there are days when you fall in love with being alive."
– Anonymous

Song of the day:
Sights, London Grammar
taken with a canon 6D and a 24-105 f/4 lens
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Lovely Vertigo. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig